- This event has passed.
New York Arbitration Week 2021: SVAMC Panelists Debate Hot Issues Involving Technology Arbitrations
November 18, 2021 @ 12:30 pm - 1:30 pm
The Prague Rules on the Efficient Conduct of Proceedings in International Arbitration and the publication of arbitration awards by administering organizations are two hot topics in international arbitration. During the 2021 New York Arbitration Week, world-class neutrals in the high technology area will discuss these issues as they apply to technology arbitrations.
The presentation will consist of two debates. The first panel will debate the proposition “Resolved: The Prague Rules Contain Approaches to Experts and the Role of Arbitrators that are Better for Arbitrating Technology Disputes than the IBA Rules of Evidence.” The second panel will debate the proposition “Resolved: Publication of Arbitration Awards by Administrating Organizations is Beneficial to the Arbitration of Technology Disputes.”
Date & Time
November 18, 2021
12:30pm – 1:30pm Pacific
3:30pm -4:30pm Eastern
All panelists are on SVAMC’s 2021 Tech List of the world’s leading technology neutrals.
- Moderator: Thomas D. Halket – Tom is an independent arbitrator and Adjunct Professor at Fordham Law School where he teaches courses on International Arbitration Law, Commercial Technology, Licensing and Entrepreneurship. He was previously the partner in charge the Commercial Technology Practice in Bingham McCutchen’s New York office and Co-Chair of the Technology and the Emerging Company Group of Hughes, Hubbard & Reed LLP. Tom is a past President of the Chartered institute of Arbitrators, a member of the College of Commercial Arbitrators, and Chair of the AAA’s Technology Advisory Committee.
- William Baker – Bill is an independent arbitrator and mediator who practices in New York. He is a member of the College of Commercial Arbitrators, a former adjunct professor at Cardozo Law School where he taught a course on International Arbitration and Mediation and has been listed numerous times in Best Lawyers in America – International Arbitration. He was previously Co-Chair of the International Litigation Committee of the ABA and Chair of the Arbitration Committee of the Intellectual Property Owner’s Association (IPO). Before becoming a full-time arbitrator and mediator, he practiced with Fish & Neave and the New York offices of Ropes & Gray and Alston & Bird.
- Angela Foster – Certified as a mediator and arbitrator, Anji Foster has adjudicated over 500 disputes involving patent infringement/validity, licensing, commercial and business ventures, breach of contract, negligence, employment discrimination, trade secret theft, and trademark and copyright infringement. She is a member of numerous arbitration panels, including those of the AAA, CPR, WIPO, FINRA, and ICDR and serves on the AAA’s Council. She is also the immediate past chair of the Dispute Resolution Section of the New Jersey State Bar Association. In addition to her law degree, she has a PhD in biochemistry and molecular biology.
- Duarte Henriques – Duarte Henriques is a lawyer and arbitrator based in Lisbon – Portugal, and partner at Victoria Associates. He is a member of several international associations, including the LCIA, IBA, ICC, and ICCA. He is also on the ICC Task Force on Financial Institutions and International Arbitration and the Task Force on Third-Party Funding in International Arbitration of the International Council for Commercial Arbitration (ICCA) & Queen Mary University of London Law School. He was a member of the working group that drafted the Prague Rules
- Crenguta Leaua – Crenguta Leaua is an experienced arbitrator and a founding partner of the “Leaua Damcali Deaconu Paunescu – LDDP” law firm in Bucharest, Romania, which is included in the top 100 law firms specializing in arbitration worldwide by GAR100 – Global Arbitration Review. She is past Vice- President of the ICC International Court of Arbitration and a member of the ICC Commission on Arbitration, as well as a member of a number of its task forces. Since 2017, she has been named as a Thought Leader in International Arbitration by Who’s Who Legal. She is author or co-author of 5 books and over 50 articles on topics such as international arbitration, intellectual property, construction law, commercial law, and corporate law
SVAMC Members Selected As Panelists During 2021 New York Arbitration Week
We are also pleased to share that a number of SVAMC members have been selected as panelists to present on a range of exciting and informative programs during the 2021 New York Arbitration Week.
The variety of programming offered throughout the week will showcase New York as a leading global seat for international arbitration and center for thought leadership, and will be presented in a format designed to take advantage of being both online and in person.
Included below is a list of SVAMC member panelists and a link to find out more information about each panel.
Teresa Garcia-Reyes, Vice President of Litigation, Baker Hughes Company will be speaking on the panel, “Getting it “Right,” The In-House Counsel’s Roundtable – Discussion on Their Approach to an International Oil & Gas Arbitration. For more information, click here.
Maria Chedid, Partner, Arnold & Porter and Ina C. Popova, Partner, Debevoise & Plimpton will be speaking on the panel, “Top 10 Tips on How to Make an Award Work: Lessons from the ICC Scrutiny Process.” For more information, click here.
Dana MacGrath, Independent Arbitrator, MacGrath Arbitration & President, ArbitralWomen will be speaking on a panel, “New York Stories: Career Options, Opportunities and Challenges in International Arbitration.” For more information, click here.
Chiann Bao, Independent Arbitrator, Arbitration Chambers, Conna A. Weiner, FCIArb; Independent Arbitrator and Mediator, JAMS and Edna R. Sussman; Independent Arbitrator and Mediator, Sussman ADR will be speaking on a panel, “Rethinking Non-Adjudicative Dispute Resolution Processes in International Arbitration – Where are We and Where Do We Go from Here?” For more information, click here.
Laura Kaster, Independent Arbitrator and Mediator and Edna R. Sussman; Independent Arbitrator and Mediator, Sussman ADR will be speaking on a panel, “Launch of the Mixed Mode Task Force Papers; Launch of IMI-CCA-Straus Mixed Mode Task Force.” For more information, click here.
Ina Popova, Partner, Debevoise & Plimpton will be speaking on a panel, “Jura Novit Curia: (How) Does This Principle Apply in International Arbitration?” For more information, click here.
Paul Cohen, Independent Arbitrator & Head of International Group, 4-5 Gray’s Inn Square Chambers will be speaking on a panel, “Technology in Arbitral Hearings: The Future is Here.” For more information, click here.
Abby Cohen Smutny; Partner and Global Head of International Arbitration Practice, White & Case LLP will be speaking on a panel “Changing Roles or Changing Robes: Perceptions and Realities of Judicial Experience in International Arbitration.” For more information, click here.
Theo Cheng; Independent Arbitrator, ADR Office of Theo Cheng and Christina Hioureas; Partner, Foley Hoag will speak on a panel, “Getting It Right – Choosing the Right Arbitrator.” For more information, click here.